Saturday, May 4, 2013

On Writing. For the First Time.



So I'm 30. And a woman. And unmarried. And childless. And living in my hometown. Might as well just write me off now. Go ahead, I don't mind. Because I'm 30, and, as it so happens, your opinion isn't really the most important thing to me anymore. (One of the best parts of not being in my 20s.)

I'm starting this blog because I think I might have a terrible memory, and I don't want to forget what thinking and feeling and learning was like at 30 (since I've mostly completely forgotten what it was like at 20). Plus this last birthday hit me pretty hard. Not in that weepy-I'm-so-pathetic-I-can't-get-out-of-bed kind of way. But in that way that some birthdays do where they ask you, beg you, to consider time. 30 seemed to demand a kind of retrospection or introspection that A) 29 didn't and B) I'm not really prone to.

Also, I like sharing stories. I appreciate good ones in any form, and so I thought I'd try my hand at this one. I have some good stories not from this year, but I might share them anyway - just so I can go back and read them later. 
My grandfather was the most incredible storyteller I've ever known. But he never wrote them down, so we all lost those stories when he died. Just in case I have a really really good one, I'd like to save it. For posterity's sake.

I hope you enjoy some of these posts. If not, don't read 'em. There are so many really incredible things to read out there, so if this doesn't work for you I implore you to find something that does.

If you do enjoy them - please share your thoughts and experiences - we're all in it together, right? Except those 20-somethings. They aren't really in it yet, so let's not ruin it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment